Grain-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies will melt in your mouth! Fresh squeezed lemon juice & freshly grated lemon zest make these cookies an excellent alternative to traditional cookies.
These cookies have the perfect blend of flavor without being overly sweet. Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies have great flavor and they are a healthful cookie choice.
Benefits of Lemons
Lemons are a wonderful source of Vitamin C, B vitamins, Vitamins A & E. They also contain key minerals like copper, iron and magnesium. Did you know that the lemon contains more potassium than apples or grapes? Potassium is essential to our diet, as it lowers the risk of many diseases.
The health benefits to making lemons part of your diet are numerous. Lemons are easy to digest and are known for relieving indigestion.
Benefits of Poppy Seeds
The most asked question about this recipe? Are poppy seeds good for you?
Poppy seed is an oil-seed obtained from the opium poppy. This tiny kidney-shaped seeds have been harvested from dried seed pods by various civilizations for thousands of years. The seeds are used, whole or ground, as an ingredient in many foods. Poppy seed is a nutritionally dense spice with high levels of essential minerals, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. wikipedia.org
Freshly squeezed organic lemon and freshly grated lemon zest give these cookies a true lemon flavor.
Printable Grain Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cookie Recipe
Grain Free Lemon Poppy Seed CookiesGrain-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies will melt in your mouth! Fresh squeezed lemon juice & freshly grated lemon zest make these cookies an excellent alternative to traditional cookies.Prep Time 15 minutesCook Time 10 minutesTotal Time 25 minutes
- 1/2 c. Coconut Flour (Nutiva brand)
- 1/4 c. Arrowroot Flour
- 1/4 c. Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 c. Xyla (Xylitol derived from birchwood trees)
- 1/4 c. Organic butter, sofened
- 1/4 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 large Organic egg
- 1 tsp. Lemon zest, organic
- 1/4 c. Lemon juice, Freshly squeezed
- 1 T. Poppy seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. (I use If You Care brand, unbleached parchment baking paper.) Wash an organic lemon and begin zesting 1 teaspoon worth. I grate the peel with the back of my vegetable peeler. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze lemon, setting aside 1/4 c.
In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with the coconut sugar and xyli until creamy. Add the egg & beat until smooth. In a separate bowl whisk the dry ingredients (flours & baking soda). Add the dry ingredients to the creamy mixture. Slowly add the lemon zest & lemon juice. Beat until cookie dough is smooth . Stir in poppy seeds. Set mixture aside for 1 minute.
- Roll cookie dough into small balls and place on parchment paper. Gently flatten with the spoon. They will not rise very much so you can place all the cookies on one baking sheet. Makes 18 cookies! Bake for 10-12 minutes.
The bottoms of the cookies will turn light brown. Be careful not to over bake the cookies, as that dries them out. Cool on cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack. Makes 18 cookies.
Cool thoroughly and store in an airtight container. If you have any leftovers, these cookies store well in the freezer. Enjoy with a warm cup of your favorite herbal tea.
How do you like to enjoy your cookies? I enjoy hearing from you!