Incredible news! Improve your health and take a vacation.
We all know that consuming our vegetables and walking improves our overall health. However, what about taking a vacation? I recently heard a startling statistic that only 50% of Americans used their paid vacation time in 2015 & 2016!
A vacation can be defined as “a period of suspension from work, study or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel.” And other definition is “an extended period of recreation, especially spent away from home or in travel.”
What is the connection between our health and taking a vacation?
- Vacations are RELAXING. They take a person away from their usual routine, which usually involves some type of stress, and encourages rest and relaxation. Our family likes to participate in activities that are engage us with the outdoors like horseback riding, hiking new trails, bird watching, and walking the beach.
- Vacations encourage us to SLEEP. We often go to bed earlier, which is the optimum time to sleep, and we wake up rested. We are not distracted by chores, emails, schoolwork, and meetings while on vacation. Naps are a novelty and can be allowed during a vacation. My family likes to do relaxing activities during the evening, we might play a family game, take an evening walk on the beach. When fires are permitted, sitting around a campfire is relaxing.
- Vacations allow us to be ACTIVE! The options are limitless when it comes to being active while on vacation. If you chose a beach vacation, their is beach combing, body surfing, and swimming. When camping in the mountains, you look for trails with beautiful views or tall waterfalls. We love to bring our bikes on vacation. We can find a local bike path, mountain biking trail or even bike around the campground.
- Vacations improve our MENTAL HEALTH. It’s so important to take a break from our day to day routine! We are actually more productive when we come back from vacation. It’s healthy to give your brain a break either from working outside the home or in the home. It’s a wonderful time to reflex on our goals and dreams for our life. When we take a break to enjoy life we are recharging our brains. They provide a time to evaluate our daily routine to see if it reflects our life mission.
- Vacations are vital for cultivating RELATIONSHIPS. Let’s face it, it’s not often you sit in a vehicle with your family for 20 hours!! It’s so important to see how they spend their down time and what is new that interests them. We love to talk about the best moments of our trip; what was the best activity from vacation, your favorite meal, what memory was most meaningful to you. We take time to listen to each other and just hang out in each other’s company without the usual distractions and demands of life. Cultivating healthy relationships is crucial to a happier and healthier life.
It’s important to our everyday lives to set aside time to recharge; to plan a vacation!
Do you like to vacation? Improve your health -take a vacation! It is not only enjoyable but also a part of taking care of your health. We all need to get away from stress and to find time to relax.
Our bodies need sleep to recharge and repair. Vacations set a wonderful atmosphere for being more active, and it is equally beneficial for our mental and physical health. Our bodies were made to move AND enjoy ourselves while doing it.
It’s not hard to believe that we will be more productive at the job site, in the home, and even in school when we give our brains a good mental break.
Lastly, we are creatures that require healthy relationships, and what better way to cultivate them then doing the very activities we love! I am going to plan my next vacation right now!
Where do you like to take a break from life?