Cherries, Blueberries, Raspberries and Strawberries are considered to be nature’s super-food! One reason is they are an antioxidant-rich food, which aid in disease prevention. Looking at the Powerful Nutrients in Berries will encourage, empower, and draw you towards adding them to your daily diet. These tantalizing berries are an excellent source of nutrition for any stage of life.
Cherries are a nutrient dense fruit that are low in calories and fat-free. The fiber contained in cherries is essential to healthy digestion, controlling blood sugar levels and lowering cholesterol. Anthocyanins in the fruit give the cherries it’s rich red color; this important molecule aids in protecting our heart and heart tissues.
Benefits of eating Sweet Cherries
- Excellent source of potassium. 1 cup of cherries is 260 grams
- Contains quercetin, which aids in lowering histamines
- Rich source of beta carotene & vitamin C
Benefits of Eating Sour Cherries
- Natural source of melatonin, making us sleep well
- Lowers inflammation in your body
- Actively aids in burning fat and decreasing fat storage
Blueberries are known for their powerful antioxidant context! This is significant because berries when consumed will aid in fighting disease and the aging process. Picking blueberries is fun for the family, peaceful, and beneficial to your health. The best part is consuming them straight from the bush!
Benefits of Eating Blueberries
- Contain essential nutrients for healthy bones; calcium, iron, zinc, and manganese.
- High fiber content which allows for lower blood sugar levels and for a healthier digestive tract.
- Vitamin C, B6, folate, and potassium are all necessary for a strong immune system
- Contains a wide range of phenolic compounds which support healthy skin, heart and fight disease.
Strawberries have their own unique nutritious value. They are rich in antioxidants like cherries and blueberries, however they contain other minerals our body needs to function properly. Strawberries contain an impressive amount of polyphenols which is necessary for improving our immune system.
Benefits of Eating Strawberries
- Excellent source of vitamin c and manganese, which is necessary to fight disease
- Very good source of dietary fiber, iodine, and folate
- Good source of copper, biotin, phosphorus, Vitamin B6, & potassium
- Good source of flavonoids which are essential for our eye health
- Lower glycemic index score compared to other berries
Raspberries are naturally sweet and will satisfy your sweet tooth. Freshly harvested raspberries will be sweet, soft, and melt in your mouth. One more advantage to consuming local berries is, when they are dark red and fully ripened, they have a higher nutritional value. Raspberries are unique due to their high concentration of ellagic acid, a phenolic compound that prevents cancer by stopping the growth of cancer cells.
Benefits of Eating Raspberries
- Excellent source of vitamin C and quercetin
- Rich in B vitamins, folic acid, copper and iron (All essential to maintaining good health.)
- Highest ranking berry for dietary fiber
- Contains vitamins essential for a healthy immune system
Our bodies need the nutrients and benefits berries can provide to live a healthier life. The berries highlighted here are just a few of the berries available to us. Blackberries and elderberries are two more berries with high nutrient content. After consuming berries our bodies are better equipped to prevent against disease and premature aging. Berries aid our bodies in maintaining a healthy cholesterol level and lowers the risk of disease associated with inflammation.
Another health benefit is aiding our body in maintaining normal blood pressure. It is totally amazing to see how eating cherries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries can contribute to better eye health, improved immune system, reducing inflammation, and even stronger brain function.
My preferred way to consume berries is raw and straight from the bush!! The best way to consume the most nutrients is to eat berries that are fresh, raw and with no heat or additives. Another fun way to enjoy berries is adding them to homemade granola. My daughters enjoy them on unsweetened vanilla coconut milk yogurt. It is also delightful to bake with berries, where they can simmer in their own juice. Berries are the best tasting nutrients!!
Please share how you are enjoy eating berries. Do you consume more cherries, strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries?